Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Manika­vasagam holds off on quit decision - Star

PETALING JAYA: Dec 31, 2008

Kapar Member of Parliament S. Manika­vasagam has agreed to hold off on his decision to quit as a member of PKR until he has met with party leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

He will meet the Opposition party adviser after he comes back from a trip to India in mid-January.

However, he reiterated he was ready to “leave the party at any time” and has already sent in a letter resigning from his post as Selangor PKR deputy liaison chairman to Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim, effective immediately.

Manika said he would continue as an MP even if he quits the party, or if PKR decided to sack him.

“I disagree with PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang -- people don’t just vote for the party but for the candidate,” he said.

Abdul Hadi had earlier said that it was “only right that he gives up the position when he leaves PKR.”

The first-term MP told The Star’s Malay-language news portal mStar Online last Saturday that he was quitting because he was disappointed with the attitude of Selangor PKR leaders.

He also cited in-fighting among the state leaders as a reason, and said he was going to make the official announcement before Wednesday.

“I have made up my mind and it’s final. I’m not joking and I’m very serious this time,” said Manikavasagam, 43.

He said he had expressed his intention to leave the party previously but had been dissuaded a few times by Anwar.

“This time around, I’ve made up my mind and I won’t forewarn them about it. I won’t tell them anything as I’m very sure of my decision,” he had said.

No comments: