Justify RM8 million expenditure, former Perak assemblymen, exco members told
NST IPOH, Mon: June 2, 2008
The Perak state government has no intention of finding fault with anyone in raising the issue on the RM8 million allocation spent by former Barisan Nasional (BN) State Assemblymen and State Executive Councillors within a two-month period prior to the general election in March, said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin.
He said what was being questioned now was the details on the minor projects and their cost to justify the expenditure.
He said the state government had no intention of finding faults with the previous leadership or to take them to court, but only wished to know the details on the expenditure.
"Within the two-and-a-half months, they should explain the type of expenditure incurred. We are not saying they are guilty. Just list down the expenditure and the public can see the RM8 million spent during the two-and-a-half months. It’s not that we are going to prosecute,” he told reporters after opening the National Geoscience Conference, here today.
"The people of Perak have the right to know because the RM8 million was public fund. What was the money spent for? If it was to build a small bridge, to resurface the road or repair buildings, we do not dispute. That’s the right of the people. The expenditure is appropriate,” he said.
If the BN state assemblymen and executive councillors concerned explained the expenditure incurred, then the public themselves could evaluate whether the value of the projects were commensurate with the amount allocated.
The Menteri Besar said although the RM8 million fund had been exhausted by the previous State Assemblymen and Executive Councillors, the state government still had sufficient allocations to implement development projects in Perak.
Last Friday, the Perak state government had asked the previous BN government to explain to the people the RM8 million development fund which was spent within two months prior to the general election. — BERNAMA