KUALA LUMPUR: Jul 18, 2008
Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim blamed Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak for the sodomy allegation, saying that it was an attempt to derail Pakatan Rakyat’s move to take over the Government.
Anwar who claimed he would be Prime Minister by Sept 16 by way of a by-election and mass crossovers by Barisan MPs, said it looks like the process had run into a temporary setback.
“Now, I have to wait for a while for it not to be affected by the case. But I remain committed and we will proceed,” he told a press conference yesterday.
Najib is due to take over as Prime Minister in June 2010 under a transition programme agreed to by Umno.
On Umno and PAS talks, the PKR de facto leader said this was something normal.
“They are prepared to meet and discuss with anyone. This is consistent with my position and Pakatan Rakyat’s position,” he said, adding he had been in touch with PAS leaders and president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang.
He said the media reports about the talks were misleading.
Anwar stressed that ties among PKR, DAP and PAS “is perfect and extremely good.”
He also said he was touched by the support shown by parties’ leaders towards him.
“Pakatan Rakyat remains strong,” he said.