Monday, August 18, 2008

Go ahead, sue me: Selangor MB - Star


SHAH ALAM: Aug 18, 2008

Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim has welcomed Universiti Teknologi Mara’s (UiTM) decision to take legal action against him over his statement calling for 10% of the varsity’s intake be opened to non-bumiputras.

Khalid said he welcomed the suit announced by UiTM Vice-Chancellor Prof Datuk Seri Dr Ibrahim Abu Shah last Saturday as it would provide an opportunity for the truth behind the statement to be highlighted to the people.

He said the suggestion he made on Aug 9 was not something that was altogether new and had been raised even before this.

“I feel the Malays and Malaysians as a whole are more matured and they know that such efforts (to open the intake to the non-bumiputras) are needed as we head towards globalisation.

“The openness in education is necessary to raise the skills of each member of the workforce in Malaysia as a means to ensure the country can effectively compete with other nations,” he said.

Khalid had on Aug 9 asked for UiTM to open 10% of its intake to the other races to raise the level of integration, competitiveness and the quality of graduates.

Prof Ibrahim and the student body council later slammed the Mentri Besar over the comment as the state government had no jurisdiction over the university and this was followed by student demonstrations in several states.

Khalid had on Wednesday defended his statement and said he would not apologise for his suggestion and the university then decided to initiate legal action against him.

No comments: