Steven Gan and K Kabilan | Aug 13, 08 6:16pm
PKR parliamentarian Zulkifli Noordin, who called on a crowd of angry Muslims to storm the Bar Council building last Saturday, will be asked to show cause, said Anwar Ibrahim.
However the party de facto leader will have to first find the elusive politician.
Zulkifli, who is Kulim-Bandar Baharu parliamentarian, has gone missing since Saturday's protest and calls made to his mobile telephone have gone unanswered. At the same time, the police denied that the parliamentarian had been detained by them.
Anwar revealed today that he too was unable to reach Zulkifli.
"I have been asked to speak to him, to give him notice... To be fair, since we are unable to contact him directly, we will have to wait until we can do so," Anwar told Malaysiakini after meeting with top fund managers at a Kuala Lumpur hotel.
Zulkifli was one of the key personalities leading the 300-strong crowd at the Bar Council headquarters to protest against the lawyers group's controversial ‘Conversion to Islam' forum.
The parliamentarian, a trained lawyer, said that he was representing the Muslim Organisations in Defence of Islam (Pembela), in which he is a member.
However, the police advised forum organisers to abort the event soon after.
PKR deputy leader Syed Husin Ali had issued a statement on behalf of the opposition party criticising Zulkifli for his action.
"He (Zulkifli) has to be clear that party policies and party decisions must be adhered to," said Anwar.
As to what action will be taken against the errant MP, Anwar said it would be up to the PKR disciplinary board, which is headed by Syed Husin.
"We will have to first ask him to show cause and we will proceed from there," said Anwar.
‘We must allow discussion'
Anwar also expressed regret that certain party decisions were not communicated well to its members.
"I think this (the protest) has taught us a lesson that some of our decisions have to be made well understood at the lower level (of the party). Probably we didn't make it too clear."
He argued that the Bar Council forum should be allowed to proceed.
anwar ibrahim exclusive pre permatang pauh interview 130808 08"We have communicated to the Bar Council our views. And PAS had came out with a statement. (Party leader Abdul) Hadi (Awang) had made it quite clear, that we must allow (the forum) ... but it has to be close door."
Anwar reiterated that he was in favour of interfaith discussion.
"I have tried to get Muslim leaders to appreciate the fact that we must allow a discussion (on religious issues). If you're not confident (to discuss the matter), then there's something wrong with our belief and faith. You must be confident to express, counter and argue.
"If you feel that the Muslim representation (at such discussions) is not adequate, not competent (to argue the issues), then you send adequate and competent people there."
Anwar said that he had also met with Dr Mehrun Siraj, a renowned International Islamic University law lecturer, who was one of the participants at the Bar Council forum.
"She said something which was startling," he said of his meeting with Mehrun yesterday.
When the protest was going on, there was a woman at the forum providing her views on the contentious issue of conversion.
"Not only non-Muslims but Muslims should have listened (to her). We have lost that chance."
Anwar will be camping at Permatang Puah beginning today to campaign for the Aug 26 by-election, which could see him back in Parliament after a 10-year absence.