By DHARMENDER SINGH
SHAH ALAM: Aug 18, 2008
Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim has voiced his doubts that PKR members were involved in Saturday’s incident where two journalists were attacked outside the nomination centre in Permatang Pauh.
Khalid, who is also the Selangor PKR chairman, said he was worried over the consistency of the attacks on journalists and agreed that they should be protected and those identified should be stopped from repeating such incidents.
However, he said he felt that the party’s supporters in Permatang Pauh were generally well disciplined and had no rational reason to resort to attacking journalists as Pakatan Rakyat realised the need for media support in its fight against Barisan Nasional.
He said there was also no question of any ill feelings being harboured by party members as the media had been supportive of PKR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who enjoyed a close rapport with pressmen.
“Press photographers have been vital in showing the public and the Federal Government the large crowds that turned out to support PKR at events including the Bersih Rally and the nomination of candidates in Permatang Pauh,” he told reporters Monday after the monthly meeting with state government officials here.
On Saturday Berita Harian’s Siren Hafiz and Halim Berber of France’s HBL press news were allegedly attacked outside the nomination centre at the Tuanku Bainun Teacher’s Training College in Jalan Penanti-Mengkuang Titi in Penang.